Sunday, August 28, 2011

Kelly's Delicious Lavender Pound Cake

Today I had to bake up a couple of my special Lavender Pound Cakes for my husband's family reunion and decided to share this unique recipe with you.  It is a delicious and moist pound cake that is great with frosting or without.  The Lavender in the recipe provides a very subtle flavor that is light and tastes like a light lavender breeze blowing through a summer afternoon.  Give this recipe a try...I bet you and your family will come to love it as much as we do!




LAVENDER POUND CAKE


Prep time: 20 minutes  
Category:  Breakfast/Dessert  
Servings:  8-10

Ingredients:
2 sticks salted butter, softened to room temperature
2 cups sugar
5 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 - 1 1/2 tbsp. dried chopped lavender
1 cup buttermilk
2 tsp. vanilla

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cream butter and sugar.  Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each egg is added.  Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl.  Combine wet ingredients in another bowl.  Alternately add the dry and wet ingredients, mixing well after each addition.  Pour into 2 greased bread loaf pans.  This recipe will actually give you enough batter for 2 large loaves and 1 mini-loaf.  Bake for one hour (30 minutes for the mini-loaf) or until tester poked through center of cake comes out clean.  Let cool completely before adding frosting.  This pound cake tastes great without any frosting but if you prefer, a little drizzling of icing is quite lovely too!  For an easy frosting I just combine powdered sugar, 1 tbsp. melted butter and a small amount of milk until I get the desired consistency, then just drizzle over the cake.  I like to add powdered lavender to my frosting mix for a complete lavender treat!

Nutritional Info:
I probably don't need to tell you that this is a  very fattening cake.  It is worth every fat gram and calorie so just practice portion control and enjoy it!

Let me know if you try this recipe what you think of it or what changes you would make.  I'd love to hear what you think!

No comments: