Sunday, August 7, 2011

Kelly's Favorite Breakfast Smoothie

I start almost every day with a healthy high protein fruit smoothie that tastes so delicious it's hard to believe it's health food!  I thought I'd share the recipe with you.  








It is a simple recipe to make that makes about 16 ounces.  I work on one half while getting ready for work in the morning and pour off the other half into a thermos, which I drink when I get to work.  This wonderful fruiti-licious drink keeps me going until lunchtime!  Here is the recipe:

In a Vita-Mix or blender add:
1 serving of frozen peaches
1 serving of frozen strawberries, or other fruit of choice
1 banana
cold water to cover the fruit  (this will help thaw the fruit and make blending much easier)
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. ground flaxseed
2 small packages of Truvia sweetener
1 full scoop of LifeTime Life's Basics Pea Protein Powder, Vanilla flavor
   (or other vanilla flavored protein powder)

Gently stir ingredients prior to blending.  Blend on high for 30 - 60 seconds and check to see if the consistency is right.  If needed add a bit more water and blend again.  Enjoy!

Gunnar takes a sip
Good smoothie!
What makes this smoothie taste even better is the lack of guilt you have while drinking it!  Here is the nutritional breakdown for a 16 oz. serving:

382 calories
4.5 gm. fat
29 gm. protein
34 gm. carbohydrate

A healthy and filling breakfast that gives you 3 full fruit servings and a dose of heart healthy flaxseed that won't hurt your waistline!  





I would love to learn new smoothie recipes and hear your ideas about different fruit combinations!  What smoothies are you currently enjoying and making for your family?  Talk to me!

                

No comments: